Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm Lawless

I don't have a habit of breaking traffic laws. In fact, I'm somewhat paranoid about such things as stopping at stop signs and red lights. I often have a moment of panic when the light turns yellow and I have to make a split second decision of whether or not I can make it through before it turns red.
I had one of those moments of panic just this afternoon.
I was running late to a doctor's appointment, traffic was a little crazy, and it was about to come a flood. So, I was more than ready to get to my destination.
Just as I was approaching the traffic light, it turned yellow. I had plenty of time to get through it before the reddage, but the car in front of me slowed down just under the light. Thus creating an extra moment of panic for me. It was too late to stop, and too late to go, but since I was halfway through, I had no choice but to continue. I will admit that I actually thought about the possibility of a screeching halt and reverse, but that seemed a tad dangerous.
So, as I went under the light, it turned red.
And my heart rate trippled. I had technically ran a red light.
Oh the shame it would bring on my family. The horror.
When the drama ended, I looked in my rearview mirror to notice a policeman truck stopped at the red light behind me. Of course. The ONLY time I broke the law, there would be just happen to be an officer sitting there.
But as their light turned green, and their group of traffic caught up with me, the cars began to separate, and the police truck got closer. Still no lights or siren on, but my heart was racing.
Then, he moved to the left lane, making the car behind him visible. It was also an officer, in a police car.
And behind him, a police SUV.
And behind him, another police car.
Lord help.
FOUR officers, in full uniform, in four different vehicles watching as I went under a red light.
But they all - all four- just whizzed on by little ol' me, . Probably wondering why I looked so guilty, taking no notice of my little incident.
I honestly don't know how I escaped the law. This time.
Maybe its retribution for my outrageous mistreatment during my last run in with law.
I'll take it.

And on another note, is it wrong to eat chocolate ice cream while watching Biggest Loser?

5 comments:

Liz said...

Just so ya know... Larry is an ex-cop. As long as the light was yellow when you entered the intersection, you're ok. I could get him to look up the penal code number if you'd like me to. :)

terri said...

Whew. Thanks Liz. My guilty concience is washed away. :)

Ivymamma said...

They probably had bigger fish to fry than the sweet momma. As for the ice cream...dairy for the baby!

terri said...

Yes. Dairy for the baby. AND I didn't really break the law. My blogging friends are so awesome. :)

Deedra said...

It's a good thing you technically didn't break the law, one of the 4 of them would surely have seen it if you had! And yeah you totally need more calcium while you're pregnant!