Monday, June 9, 2008

Craftiness

Last week marked the first full week of summer vacation. A time I'm usually all excited about. No school. No alarm clocks. No real schedule. All good things.

I'm still glad it's summertime, but this year it's a bit different. With a newborn and all. We can't just easily load up and head to the pool and the sprayground park like we did last summer. In fact, our inflatable back yard pool, water guns, and sprinkler might be the only water enjoyment we have for a while. But that's fun, too.

The girls haven't complained at all, surprisingly. But it only took four days before I heard "I'm bored."

Oh really? Ok then. I guess we can empty out your room since the toys occupying it no longer entertain you. Hmph.
That worked for a little while.

Anyway, I had to get creative towards the end of the week. We even made fruit loop necklaces. Mostly because that's about all I could find. I haven't been to the store a lot here lately. But it worked. And it served as a craft and a snack. A very good trait in an activity.
(hint: if you try this at home, make sure you tape one end of the string to something -we used paper - so the cereal won't fall off the other end!)
You'll notice in the picture our little neighbor, who joined us for the necklace making. She comes down often. Purely for the entertainment of our ongoing 3 ring circus.
So, over the weekend, I escaped from the house and stocked up on some crafty items. The minute the girls spotted the new stuff, they were all set to use them all. But we waited for today. A day when daddy was back at work and I needed something for them all to do.
And today we watercolored.
It was lovely.
Tomorrow we will make mosaics out of construction paper, and we might even bust out the easy bake oven.
I know, I know.
I dream big.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I think the fact that you allow an extra child into your house right now...and plan to make mosaics in the same week with watercoloring definately qualifies you for some sort of special mommy award! Way to go, ladybug...and with a newborn to boot! You're doing better than I ever did with a new baby. It was pretty much a "fend for yourself" environment for the first couple months while this mommy tried to wake up & figure out what her name was.

Pof5 said...

Oh, I am so jealous. You guys have an easy bake oven? Sophy needs a sister sooo bad. A point she reminds us of frequently when she asks, "Too bad we've got all these boys here." Ha.
Happy Summer to you guys. I wanna come bake. And btw, if you are ever in the M'shall area, you can most assuredly borrow the Pinkie pool! We'd love a swim date!