Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm Tired and Feathered

Our house is for sale.
Because we're moving.
Across the country.
God has provided a great opportunity for us a few states away. I've pretty much spent most of my life in the same place, so I'm pumped about moving to a new, exciting city.
I'm not so pumped, however, about keeping this house ready to show to potential buyers at any time while having four small children at home. It's insane. And it's about to strip me of all of my patience. What takes me an hour to clean up, they can destroy in 90 seconds flat.
Yesterday, we had someone coming to look, so we got everything cleaned up, picked up, and we were almost ready to go. I was doing the "final walk through" before loading the car, and my six year old appeared in the hallway with a hat.
A hat full of purple feathers.
I don't know where they came from, but I could immediately imagine them spread all over my freshly vacuumed carpet, so I demanded that the feathers be put away.
I finished my walk through, and by the time I got back to the kitchen, the purple feathers had already scattered all through the house. And you can't vacuum them up, because the air from the vacuum cleaner blows them around before they get sucked up, so you have to pick them up by hand.
One at a time.
All five thousand of them.
So, I sent the feather child on a mission to get rid of them. There was some threatening of sorts, but it worked, and soon the house was back in order. And off we went.
Even this afternoon, I am still finding purple feathers in weird places.
Maybe I should save some, so they can use them for decoration in my room at the funny farm, where I just might end up if we don't sell this place soon.

2 comments:

Deedra said...

Oh girl! Bless your heart! I love to watch the shows on HGTV where they "stage" a house before selling it.....

...I've had nightmares about having to live that way though!

Praying it will sell quick!

Liz said...

I am so grateful that God hasn't called us elsewhere yet. And it's primarily for THAT very reason. I am no Martha Stewart. Actually I'm more of a candidate for TLC's "Clean Sweep" show. LOL Yikes...that would make me a nervous wreck, too. Perhaps we could get a double room at the psych ward together?