In addition to my last post about my apparent accent, there has been another incident.
I went to Target. A really nice lady asked me a question to which I answered, "I don't."
Seriously. Two words.
And her eyes got big and she said, "Where are you from?"
Oh my word.
"Texas," I said proudly, waiting for a snide remark.
But instead of a snide remark, I got a friendly, "I thought I recognized that accent." She proceeded to tell me that she had attended Baylor and loved Texas. As she walked away, I thanked her for helping me with directions for something, and she replied with a wave, "Anytime. Us southerners have to stick together and help each other out."
Alrighty then.
Sometimes the dialect is my friend.
3 comments:
And ya know...when I'm in another state, I find myself trying my best to cover my accent. I mean, I don't really even recognize that I have an accent til I hear other people talking in a way that sounds all snoody-uppity or whatever. LOL! I'm glad you're not covering up anything, but letting your inner Southernbelle shine. :)
About a month ago I called someone I hadn't spoken to in years to invite her to a Bible study. She didn't know my married name, so caller ID would have been of no use to her. All I got out was, "Hey ____ it's..." and she squealed and said, "AMY _____! Don't you ever think with an accent like that that you have to identify yourself when you call!" She meant well, but honestly, it left me feeling the need to "tone it down" :O).
When I was younger, we moved from Extreme West Texas to Albuquerque. People, grown ups mind you, would find me and beg me (a 9 year old) to say "Y'all" after which they would walk away giggling. It was perplexing. My fourth grade teacher giggled everytime I spoke to her for an entire school year. It was very disturbing.
Post a Comment