Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday Highlights

Grandmom is here!
Last weekend, at the airport, we literally ran (with excitement) down the baggage claim area when we spotted my mom and step-dad, who have come to spend the holidays with us. We are so happy to have them here. I'm trying to persuade them to move here, but I'm not having much luck. I'm not giving up, though.

Santa is found out.........
Miss Priss had heard some rumors at school that Santa was a myth. A fictional character, if you will. But she never once asked us about it. Instead, she told her sisters what she had heard. And they were SO MAD that people were saying such things. I just have always said, "Santa is as real as you believe him to be." And left it at that.

But Miss Priss wouldn't take that answer anymore. After all, she is almost nine, going on 18.
So, in an effort to not ruin the Santa game for the younger two just yet, I let her in on the secret.
Her first response was, "So - what about the tooth fairy?" A question I was not expecting.
To which she fired off way too many harassing questions about the time the tooth fairy didn't come.
After some discussion about it all, she decided it would be fun to "play along" and not tell.
And continually announced at the oddest times things she wished "Santa" would bring. Things that she had not put on her "original" list. I think she was trying to barter.

We were invaded by mice.

They were chocolate mice, so it wasn't a problem. They return every year about this time.

Little Guy grew antlers.......
I left the room for just a second. When I came back, this is what his big sisters did to him. But he didn't seem to mind, so we left them on for a while.
They also dressed up Grandpa while he was trying to rest. They might be a little out of control.

Our Christmas tree fell over........

It was leaning a bit on its own, being 11 years old and all, and was in need of some repairs. But when a certain 6 year old climbed under it to hunt for gifts addressed to her, the tree had all it could take. We tried to "adjust" it, but ended up snapping the base into two separate pieces.

But don't worry. The pieces duct-taped right back together. In fact, we taped it so tight that the taped leg ended up about 2 inches higher than the other legs. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a nice, thick, hardback book.

You might be a redneck if your tree is duct-taped together and propped up with a book. I'm just sayin'.

Wrapping it up.....

We opened lots of great gifts and spent fun time with friends and family. Making Christmas this year a wonderful one.

4 comments:

Ivymamma said...

oh how I laughed at the duct taped, propped up with a book tree!!!

and LOVE the mice!!

Audra said...

I love reading your blog, you make me laugh. I'm so glad you had a special Christmas and that your mom & stepdad were there to celebrate with you all.

Liz said...

I love this post! Between the pictures of grandpa dressed up as a Hannah Montana princess :) and the duct-taped Christmas tree....I can't help but giggle!!! I love ya girl. You speak my language.

and btw--I think Samuel may have figured out Santa, too...but he's not letting on. He won't come right out & say that he knows, but he was asking an awful lot of questions with logical answers this year. I think he's afraid to admit he knows, though! ha ha!

Kristy said...

Doesn't duct tape fix everything?? Sounds like you all had a very exciting Christmas. Peanut has been asking if santa is really real or not. She asked me if I believe in him. hee hee! I love the pic of grandpa dressed up! That is too hilarious!!! I missed your little mice this year. those are so cute and good. Love you