Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day, Part 2

When I learned of the "dot pick-up system", I asked the question, "So what happens if it rains?"
My question was met with laughter and the answer that "Oh Terri - it only rains here a few weeks in July and a few weeks in August. The rainy season is over, so there is no need for a rainy day plan."
Uh-huh.
It never rains here.
Not until 30 minutes before the WALK THROUGH pick up time.
When it comes a thunderstorm. I'm talking thunder, lightning, and wind so hard it blew everyone's umbrellas wrong side out and blew a big hole in mine. If we'd been back in Texas, I would have thought we were under a tornado warning. But they don't have those here either.
Or so I'm told.
But have no fear, I got to the school, with squishy wet flip flops and a battered umbrella. I made it to the dots, where they distribute the children, apparently in the worst of storms.
The girls had a GREAT day. They made new friends. They loved their teachers. And they even did homework with minimal complaining.
Yep. School is back in session.

3 comments:

Pof5 said...

Sounds like things are going great!....well, minus the ginormous storm at dot time!!!

Deedra said...

maybe you brought the weather with you? I'm glad they are loving their school!

Pam said...

vegas has been in a drought for over 15 yrs lol i used to live in vegas for 21 yrs until i married my current husband (now i'm in no. cali tho i would prefer to be in so. cali as that is where i grew up). summer can get unbearable there, but some are just used to it. my son moved back a cpl of yrs ago (my kids all born there). i don't think people understand how some can love it there. i liked it, but san diego would be my choice of THE place to live :)