Saturday, August 2, 2008

This is for the Birds

So moving day was difficult. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, went as planned. In fact, our whole schedule was thrown off by a day and a half. Fun times, I tell ya.
At the end of a long day of packing and loading, I was headed to my mom's to get a shower and some rest for the night. Since our pretty pot of red begonias would likely not survive a cross country trip in 100 degree weather, I decided to be generous and give them to my mom. She likes flowers and all. My hubby loaded the pot in the back of my vehicle, and off I went.
I got a few miles down the road and heard a weird little squeaking noise. At first, I looked around my car, thinking it would be just our luck for our car to break days before we move.
And the squeaking got louder, and more rhythmic.
I noticed my daughter's little electronic game on the floor of the car, and thought maybe that was the culprit. It probably needed batteries or something.
Then, the noise began to strangely resemble that of a frog's croak.
Great. We have a family of frogs that lived in the front yard, so I was thinking one of them had made a home in the plant and was now in my car. And I panicked.
I like frogs. Even think they're cute. But not in my car, where it could possibly jump on me and I'd not be able to escape.
I had just about decided that I could withstand the hour long trip to my mom's with the frog, and began to make plans of what to do in the event that he jumped up to the front with me.
And that's when the croaking didn't sound so much like croaking anymore.
Because it wasn't croaking at all.
It was chirping.
BECAUSE IT WAS A BIRD.
In the plant.
In my car.
I did what any good southern woman would do.
I screamed.
And then whipped my car into the McDonald's parking lot and popped open the back. My friend was on the phone with me, and was giving me directions of what to do. "Poke around in there," she said.
Uh-huh.
I looked around the car, but the only thing I saw to poke with was a Polly Pocket doll, and I'm fairly certain that Polly shook her head at me.
So I poked it with my keys. And the bird chirped LOUDLY at me. Again and again.
It was then that I picked up the whole pot, drug it up to the trash can by the door at McDonald's, and sprinted back to my car, hoping that no one was watching my insanity.
I continued on my journey, meeting up with several deer and a family of skunks before finally getting inside the house.
Lord, help.
We drove by that McDonald's yesterday and I made my hubby slow down so I could see if anyone had taken my bird inhabited flowers.
The pot is still there. It actually looks like part of the landscaping.
For my local friends, maybe you could go by the McDonalds there by the hospital and drop some fries in the pot by the trash can.
I'm sure the birdie would appreciate it.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I'm going to have to go by there & see if it's still there really soon!!!!! That is a funny story!

Deedra said...

That sounds like something that could happen to me! At least it wasn't something creepy-crawly! (I will not name names for fear that it WILL happen to me!)

Ivymamma said...

That is hilarious! We came home from vacation once to find abird nesting in the wreath on the front door - except we didn't notice it until it flew into the house!!!

Moving??? Somewhere I missed that this waas happening - where to??? We moved twice with four month old babies - I'll be praying!!!

Pof5 said...

That is HILARIOUS! I could just see you....haha.