Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Write the Songs....

Miss Priss has a new friend named Ta'neil. She's the funniest little girl, but every time we hear her name, my husband and I can't help but bust out with a verse from "Love Will Keep us Together" or a chorus from "Muskrat Love". Since Miss Priss has no appreciation for Captain and Tenille, she doesn't exactly understand our humor. She thinks her parents are weird. Oh, just wait, baby. We have a ton of fun stored up for your teenage years.

In the quest to introduce her to "oldies", I have taken a trip down memory lane and thought of some old songs I used to sing. But unfortunately, I didn't always know the words.

My dad used to fill his car with the sounds of Kenny Rogers and The Oak Ridge Boys. I can totally recall singing my heart out to "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille....four hundred children and a crop in the field......" Oh. Four HUNGRY children? Yeah. That's a better number.

And I remember sitting in church singing the old hymn that says, "All I had to offer Him was broken Nestle Crunch...." What? Brokenness and strife? That makes more sense. It did always puzzle me why we were singing about candy in church. And why was it broken?

Maybe tomorrow I'll bust out the old dance songs. Or Music Machine. Or tunes from Grease. I might even just whip up something snazzy on my guitar.
The fun just never ends.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Thats hilarious!!! I remember saying 400 children!! I always thought that was alot of kiddos. hee hee! Wasn't til later I realized what they were saying. Gotta love those oldies!! Today your youngest Aunts youngest daughter broke her arm in PE. she has a hot pink cast. Love ya

Amy said...

I remember in first grade (still learning to read) there were little blue and white bibles in the pew that said "Good News America, God Loves You"... when I read it it said, "God knows America, God Loves You". It took me a long time to figure that one out.
I also was quite guilty of sitting 3 rows from the front and ducking my head in laughter w/ a certain McMeans girl when we sang Christmas songs with the word for "donkey" in them.
Ok... maybe I still snicker :O).

Liz said...

Well ya know, in middle school when the Bangles came out with "Mad About You", I could've sworn they were singing "lied about you". And if you listen to it w/ that in mind, it really does sound like it.

Check out all the "misheard lyrics" songs on youtube. LOL! Too funny!