Thursday, February 12, 2009

How Praise Baby Changed My Life

I used to be one of those people who said, outloud, "I would never let my child do that." Or even worse, "My child would never act like that."
And then I had children.
Four of them.
And I completely regret ever saying or even thinking that.
I also used to have a ultra-ridiculously-conservative perspective on TV viewing. Even down to what age they could watch TV. It was a little over the top.
Fast forward a few years, add a few kids, and I'm still pretty picky about what kind of shows they can watch, and how long they sit in front of the set, but it's a more realistic approach, I think.
And the whole age thing was thrown under the bus when we discovered Praise Baby and its wonderfulness.
A couple of years ago, in the course of just a few days, I had several friends, at different times, randomly tell me about this amazing video. So I thought we'd give it a try.
And we LOVED it. And still do.
It's probably really similar to the Baby Einstein ones, but the music on it is worship music that sets a peaceful tone throughout our house. Which, believe me, is something we need daily. And often, hourly.
Anyway, we hadn't played it in a while, and a few months ago, Little Guy was crying and crying and crying. And Miss Priss suggested that we put it in - for the music. So we did. And he immediately stopped crying and stared at the TV.
And the rest is history.
We call it "his show."
You might find it on at our house while I am cleaning. Or when Little Guy is having a freak-out moment and nothing else works. And sometimes when he's wide awake at 4 in the morning. Because he's STILL not a good sleeper.
But that's another story.
So, I'm thinking that since he's my littlest Valentine this year, he just might get the newest Praise Baby DVD this weekend. On account of his very first Valentine's Day.
It's the gift that keeps on giving.
To us all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I am SO with you on this!! I used to say "my kids will never watch tv" or something that ridiculous....BEFORE I had kids. And then, it was "30 minutes of something educational per day" (and that resolution lasted probably 5 minutes). I used to scoff at people who had TVs in their car because they were spoiled and self-indulgent...

Fast forward a few years, and I received a Praise Baby DVD as a shower gift. I just play it over and over again. You're right...its so soothing and calming, as much for me as for them.

(And yeah, I play it in the car. I KEEP it in my car, actually. Oh, how far I've backslidden.....)

Shannon said...

I LOVE Praise Baby!!! Kate loved it as a baby and quite frankly, I miss it now :).

Deedra said...

I can't praise these DVD's enough!! Baby Einstein's are great, but the music! AHHHHH!!! It wears on my nerves. With the Praise Baby's, I can actually sing along. I actually carry mine to church with me when it's my turn to work in the nursery. It's like a "Get out of Jail Free" card. We just sing and dance the time away!

Matt and Meredith said...

That's hilarious. Matthis isn't a good sleeper either. Maybe because I've spoiled him a little to make the peace with Merrae. I'll have to try Praise Baby. I've heard about it but forgotten about it. Thanks for remining me.