Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Mean that Literally

A little while ago, I attended a "dancing birthday party."

For a baby doll named Lacey Shawna.

The fun just never ends at our house.

She's a creepy little doll, but greatly loved.

She even opened birthday gifts (random things we collected from our house) and sent us all home with goodie bags.

I do love watching the girls play make-believe. Sometimes it's so sweet and other times it just cracks me up.

One of the things they do that makes me laugh the hardest, though, is when they get confused and translate in their little heads things that are not supposed to be taken literally.

For example, I was chatting with my hubby in the kitchen yesterday, and he was telling me that it was "raining cats and dogs" when he was out running errands. Which is of note, since it "never rains here." Miss Bittles passed through about that time and looked at me with big questioning eyes. "Mommy," she whispered, "Was it really raining cats and doggies?"

I tried to explain to her what that meant, but she looked at me as though adult phrasing was the most ridiculous thing she had ever heard.

It reminded me of when Miss Demeanor was also about 3 years old. We were at my mom's house one morning, and she was helping her grandmom make pigs-in-a-blanket for breakfast.

As I walked by the kitchen where they were assembling the pigs, my mom asked me if I used the whole biscuit or only half.

I responded with, "Yep - sometimes I even quarter them."

I returned to the kitchen a few minutes later to find my 3 year old wrapping up loose change, pennies, dimes, and such.

Inside the biscuits.

When I asked her what she was doing, she told me she was putting quarters in the pigs, just like me.

oh. Ahem....

After shuffling her out of the kitchen to redo her pigs without her seeing, we had a big laugh at her literal sense.

And speaking of pigs, Miss Bittles, who loves to "pretend" cook, whipped me up some "pigs-in-a-blankie", she called them. It was a little pink stuffed pig, wrapped up in a napkin. On a plate.

And now, even as I am typing, Miss Bittles is walking through my room with her apron on. And nothing else.
Perhaps she has taken "all natural" cooking a bit too far.

2 comments:

Amy said...

haha ~ cute party idea :O). I'm gonna have to share a similar story of nakedness over at my blog :O).

Liz said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I love your kids!