I'm not much for expensive sunglasses.
If someone wanted to buy me some, I would not object one little bit. But on my own, I am fine with the latest pair from Wal-mart. I've even been known to wear quite fashionable shades from the Dollar Tree that I will proudly tell you guarded my eyes from the sun for over a year. Pretty good value for a buck, I'd say.
But, my latest pair broke. Right into two pieces. Which I wore for several days, against the will of my stylish nine year old.
I live in a land where the sun shines down like a blinding eye daggar 24/7, so I cannot, I repeat, CANNOT go outdoors without protecting my eyes.
So, while we were on a little trip to Kohl's, my new favorite store, I thought I'd look for some fancy, new eyewear. On sale, of course.
I found several that I liked and began the eternal process of trying on sunglasses, while bending over sideways to peer in the tiny mirror. While holding a screaming child who continually batted each pair of glasses right off of my nose. It was really fun.
So, I finally spotted a cute little pair with a butterfly on the side. I'll admit, they were a little edgy for my normal style, but I live in the big city now, so I need to look like it. Right?
So, I tried them on, admiring my new style.
And then I heard it.
The nine year old.
Saying to me, "Ummm, yeah Mom. Those are a little Rock Star for you."
Turning around, and quickly glaring at her through the butterfly glasses, I asked, "What? You don't think I can pull off Rock Star?"
She smiled at me and said nothing. She didn't have to. Her eyes said it all. Something like, "Oh my gosh. You are so embarassing. And please don't buy those. Actually, take them off right now!!"
I think she was really just worried that I might be cooler than her if I owned those glasses. And being the caring parent that I am, I would never want to humilate her that way.
So, I settled for a nice, conservative pair of Simply Vera Wang. With extra UV protection.
They were cheaper anyway. :)
2 comments:
I am SOOO with you on the expensive sunglasses. If I ever owned a pair, it would be for 1/2 a day, until I left them on top of my car while buckling a child into a car seat, I just know it. The $3.99 ones from Ross, I can manage to hang onto for years....
Dang! I was hoping for a pic of the cool ROCK STAR butterfly sunglasses!
Post a Comment