After I had completed my shopping, I checked out. The sweetest old man took my groceries out to my car for me. I could tell he was a little bit mentally challenged, which made me all the more happy to chat with him. On the way out, I started up a conversation by asking how his day had been. He shyly told me that it started out good, but it "wasn't all good."
"Hmmm - I'm sorry," I said. He then, in much detail, told me about the wind blowing so hard that it had caused him to lose control of the buggy he was pushing. And it hit a car in the parking lot. And it happened two different times. He seemed saddened by the events, but I assured him it could have been worse. (You know, like if it hit a person, which oddly enough I have witnessed). I'm not sure he agreed.
About that time, a teenage sacker guy came up to help my bagger finish loading my groceries into my car. He asked if I was getting the whole story about the crazy cart incident. They chuckled about it, and wished me a good evening. And the young guy put his arm around the old man and led him back into the store. Something about the gentleness of how the old man was treated made an impression on me. It was so sweet. So genuine. So caring. I'm thankful I got to see that today.
And on a completely different note, I have to say that I have found a treasure. I found someone who will come to my house and cut my hair. She does a great job, is fun to visit with, and is unbelievably affordable. Quite a rare find. She even came back today for a second time, which halfway surprised me, since on her first visit a few weeks ago, my children acted like maniacs. We scheduled my cut during school hours this time, which went much more smoothly. Duh.
And now, I am going to sample a bit of that ice cream that accidentally jumped into my buggy while I was at the store. I may even add chocolate syrup.
I'm sure it will be a perfect ending to my day.
2 comments:
Let me tell ya...several years ago when my three were younger, I stumbled into the oppurtunity to go grocery shopping alone after they were all in bed. I loved it so much that I've done it ever since. And now I can't imagine doing it any other way. I can birthday/Christmas shop without them while I grocery shop. I can browse clothing (for myself!) and sip a Dr. Pepper while I shop if I feel like it. Ahhh...it's heavenly isn't it?
Are your three as ready for summer as we are? Mercy! I am ready for warm weather and swimming suits and flops!
Post a Comment